"Do you have any retirement savings?", I asked my fiancé one day.
"Yeah, do you?"
"Yes," I answered. "Do you have any debt?"
This conversation happened earlier this year. We've been together for almost nine years. I'm embarrassed to admit that, but the more I speak to others, the more I realize that other couples are also not having the ever-important money conversation.
It's easier for couples to talk about sex than it is to talk about money. But as uncomfortable as it may be, it's a necessary discussion, especially given that financial conflict is one of the top causes of separation.
However, arming yourself with the credit card bill and attacking your spouse as he walks into the door from work is not a good strategy for a stress-free conversation. Money is an emotional topic and timing is important. Experts suggest that you find a neutral time to broach the subject. Go for a walk or enjoy a nice dinner before busting out the fiscal gab.
Also, how people handle and see money often stems from their parents. Try starting the conversation by asking how money was handled in his family (and reserve judgment).
Finally, recognize your differences. Spendthrifts often hook up with tightwads. So maybe you're not going to succeed in getting him to love coupon clipping. But getting an understanding of what money means to each of you will help when it comes time to compromise.
From Goldengirlfinance.com/ Posted by Mags
No comments:
Post a Comment